Monday, September 17, 2012

Big birds

I missed a week writing to you..... Lots of gardening/landscaping---and the cast is like an anchor. Yesterday I broke the tractor crashing around up in the woods. I learned that a lawnmower is not a brushcutter.  Next time I'll put the snowplow blade on for the first trailblazing trip into the brush. Trails from 2 years ago have gotten way overgrown.
Most importantly....Your birds are doing fine!  They have been spending 12 hrs a day outside in a 20x60 yard with a white sun tarp and a mesh net over the top. I feed them 2 or 3 times a day. I am experimenting with more feed twice a day or a little less feed 3 times a day. If I put too much in the feeder, they eat the corn chips and ignore the rest of the feed. But if I am a little late with the second or third feeding, then they come out to the fence and look at me.
In this picture you can see the 'Cornish-rock' genetics--the birds are getting wider.  I try to keep them walking and moving so their legs stay strong enough to hold their weight. In the background you can see a bird running and flapping her wings to 'simulate low flight.' They do that a lot.
Today I was setting up their next yard. Moving the tarp and setting the netting in the rain was really refreshing after all the hot days we have been having.  Rows of clouds kept coming over, making little rain showers. Then there were the V's of geese heading South.  Most I could see but some were up in the clouds. It was a great day.
... Hope you had a great day too!


No comments:

Post a Comment