Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Amazing Sunrise

I seem to be writing in the morning before life gets going and I get into activity. The sunrise today is oranges, into purples, with bands of intense yellow near the Sun emerging spot. I can't believe how far north the Sun migrates in the year. Living in the city or in the world of trees, I missed that connection with the seasons. Now living in a 'Sun centered' house, we see the stunning sunrises as we start the day. Then we feel the light and heat as the sunlight comes through the big windows all day. Up in the High Field we can see the sunsets all the way to the horizon. We see above the roads, powerlines and farm poleshedseds. A full horizon sunset is incredible. Dress warm and pull up a chair. There are so many cycles, connections, and seasonal changes out here. This is a Science Teachers Dream. I never thought that when I moved out here that I would be so affected by the sky. I was thinking of the 'effects' of the Sun not the 'Affects.'

I wrote before about 'freezing nights' and the poor tulips. Well in the morning the flowers were on the ground, but as it warmed up they popped back up again, by afternoon the tulip flowers were open and basking in the sunlight. It must have just sent its water into the root so it wouldn't freeze. Then as the day warmed the water came back up the stem and the flower recovered.
Up in the woods, the early May flowers are out. One called the Bloodroot, has a single leaf with white daisy-like petals. On the cold mornings the flower is closed and the leaf is wrapped around the stem and the flower. It closes itself up like a clamshell with the cold and then opens up in the warmth. There is a lesson here.

The garden is empty--- Just bare dirt. I don't have the strength to do the work. I have tried starting things but don't get far before the arms hurt. The surgery on my right arm is healing very well and it is so much stronger and with much less pain. The left arm hurts, I find out about a surgery date today. I have started a salad patch in the greenhouse. The little plants are an inch high and doing well. I just have to fit my mind into the cycles I see around me. So life is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment